On Friday 21 June 2002 11:26 pm, Shawn L Johnston wrote:
> One of the greatest likes about Caldera is the ease of installation. I
> grit my teath in anger every time I read one of these articles about how
> easy Mandrake or Red Hat is to install. To be fair, I haven't really done
> anything with Red Hat since 6.2.

Agreed on Caldera. However the install for RH 7.3 is arguably on par with
Caldera's. Much better than before. It has worked flawlessly on the 3
machines I've installed so far. And as easy as Caldera's.

> How can anyone stand Mandrake's installation program though is a mystery
> to me. I don't find that its hard, its just so bloody long. In general I
> also haven't seen that it has better hardware support than Caldera does
> either, but maybe I haven't compared enough machines. Add to that trying
> to find info on their support pages is a memorable experience, nor is Red
> Hat's support site much better.

Glad I'm not the only one that despises Mandrake's install. It's confusing.
It's is circular in places rather than linear. And in other places it's
hierarchical.  And takes forever. I find it to be the worst of the
mainstream commercial distros.