Sorry, I hit the send too clickly.

I'm aware that COL has libsasl and AUTH compiled by default, which is a
good thing.  But I was unaware that it was configured in the default
sendmail.cf file.  I have not seen this behavior, since Yahoo started
doing SMTP AUTH and a system I admin was using Yahoo as a default SMTP
server, with fetchmail authenticating it and pulling mail from an account.
 When they turned on SMTP AUTH, I don't remember seeing any logs which
would suggest that SMTP AUTH was being attempted by my server, just that
it couldn't send the mail.  Hmmm.. I'll have to doublecheck that one.