Ken Moffat wrote:

> Well... found a personal edition at the following address:
>
> http://www.bebits.com/app/2680
>
> It appears to be a linux edition that installs along side linux.
> (Does that sounds right?)

I have the Professional CD. (Got it along with a fat "BeOS Bible" last
year at Best Buy on sale.)  The downloads listed in the above link
install either within Linux or Windows, or in their own partition.
Installing it in its own partition is the way to go.

Early last year I managed to screw up my eDesk 2.4 installation so it
would not boot up.  I installed BeOS and was able to mount my
/home/user, from where I copied my files into BeOS.  I then copied these
files into Windows on the same machine. (BeOS can read Linux partitions,
but not write to them).

I then reinstalled eDesk 2.4, then copied my files from Windows.  There
are other ways of doing this sort of rescue, but using BeOS was fast and
easy for me.

Ronnie Gauthier wrote:

> I did a little looking at it a while back when setting up a radio
> station, seems it is used for that mostly. BeOS was sold and is no
> longer free. There is a personal version and there is development going
> on with the old code but as far as I could tell unless you want to spend
> money its a dead end.

BeOS is a dead end at the moment.  However, it can turn an old DOS box
with a small HD into a useful internet box.  There is a BeOS version of
an early Opera available as well as an excellent, full featured e-mail
app called Mail-It.
--
Leon A. Goldstein