Well, when I (under bash) say
$ ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 1024
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) unlimited
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 3072
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

If I then say:

$ ulimit -c 1000
$ ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) 1000
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 1024
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) unlimited
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 3072
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

Still no corefile gets produced (and it does on rh7.1 & 7.2.  The
network is a network of linux machines.  My desktop is rh 7.3.  My
account is NIS and my home is mounted and the same on all machines, so
that eliminates differences in personal login configuration.  Does
anyone know how & where I might try and find out what is going on here?

TIA
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 01:12:14PM -0700, Susan Macchia wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am developing on RH 7.3 and in my test system I need to test
> debugging of a corefile.  I have an executable which SEGVs and should
> dump core.  It does fine on RH 7.1 & 7.2, but on 7.3 it doesn't
> generate a corefile no matter what I do.
>
> In csh, I set:
>     limit coredumpsize 1000
>
> in bash/sh, I set:
>     ulimit -S -c 1000
>
> Still no luck.  Any ideas?

What is the output of ulimit -a? Is the core file larger than 1000
blocks? Write permissions in the directory where it wants to dump
core (usually the current working directory, but you know that).

My 7.3 system at work says:

$ ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 1024
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 2047
$ ulimit -c 1000
$ ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) 1000