time check your motherboard manaul. on certain boards, when you use a
certain set of RAM sockets, it will disable the other 2 banks. Cannot
quite remember the description I saw in
news://news.hkpcug.org/hkpcug.hardware (and it's in chinese....:)

--
  Swiftly. Silently. Invisibly.  .~.   In Linux we trust.
                                / v \