On ATX and a lot of proprietary architectures, hitting the power button sends a software command--but it is sent directly to the BIOS, not the OS. However you might look at the power management options in the BIOS to see if any would be of use. As Dennis said, all too often the software-controlled power-off button becomes non-functional if the operating system packs it in, so there might be some easy hack to power management.

One easy way around this would be to use a UPS and the associated shutdown software. Yank power to the UPS and it tells the computer to do a proper shutdown, while providing the power to do so.