netstat -lnp
        make sure that either 0.0.0.0:110 is listed and provided
        by inetd or it's the <real address of the server>:110 and inetd.

Logs?
PortSentry?  (If you start PortSentry in Advanced mode or have port 110
listed and it loads before inetd, your inetd ports will get denied).
But I guess that "poll completed" message would suggest that both the
netstat and portsentry ideas are of little value...)  Logs?

do you have a public IP I can check it out on?