The writing and the reality might not always jive, especially with Wine.
Since Wine is admittedly Alpha-quality software, they break things and fix
things all the time (What do you expect when attempting to implement such
a buggy OS API?).  Since I use Wine for my every-day Lotus Notes stuff, I
attempt to test any new Wine version on a dummy box before doing any
upgrades or changes.
Sometimes something can be made to work, but when all's said and done,
it's still not worth the effort.  Now games which have been converted to
native-Linux binarys I'm all about, but the Wine-gaming still just seems a
bit of a pain (since multiple Wine apps running together can cause serious
difficulties forcing a Wine-Reboot), etc...