On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, DOUGLAS HUNLEY wrote:

> anyone got any experience or docs or pointers to docs showing how to configure
>sendmail to require a valid id and password before you can SMTP through it? I'm *not*
>talking about POP before SMTP. I'm talking about 'my server requires authentication
>before I can send mail' ..
> thanks
>

> ------
> Doug Hunley
> ODJFS DNS/Linux/Unix Admin

The latest version of sendmail requires some minor changes to the
authentication SxS that's on the linux-sxs.org site.

1. sendmail no longer runs as root.  The result is that it can no longer
access the /etc/sasldb file where the sasl username/passwords are stored
(this is needed if you're going to enable either DIGEST-M5 or CRAM-M5).
Lowering the permissions of /etc/sasldb will result in another error.

To get around this add the following to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

define(`DontBlameSendmail', `GroupReadableSASLDBFile')dnl

Don't forget to run the M4 macro to generate /etc/mail/sendmail.cf AND
restart the sendmail service.

2. If you want one sendmail to authenticate with another sendmail server
then add the following line to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl

and add to /etc/mail/access

AuthInfo:server_name  "U:user_name" "I:user_name" "P:password"
        "R:server_name" "M:DIGEST-M5 CRAM-M5 LOGIN GSSAPI"

All of the above on one line and where server_name is the server you want
your sendmail to authenticate to.  You only need one valid user_name and
password for anyone on your server who has an account with the other
sendmail.

The rest of the SxS should work as listed.  Let me know if you're having
problems.

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer