Susan Macchia wrote:

Hi all,

Before I state my problem, I want to apologize for this not being a linux only
question. But I thought that some of you might have experienced this problem. Ok, here goes:

At my job most folks use MS Outlook for email and generally format their email
in HTML.

I use Mozilla connecting to the exchange server which is POP. I like mozilla
much better, with its color coding of the inbox, etc. When I receive outlook
html formatted email, it looks like plain text in mozilla. This is a real
problem because in lengthy conversations, it becomes much more difficult to
follow since color coding and font changes may be used. I have tried saving an
Outlook mail that I've sent as html and then reading it with mozilla, and it
looks fine. This leads me to believe that the html produced by outlook is
readable by mozilla. When I read email that I've sent (formatted as html), it
looks fine in both outlook and mozilla.

I've searched the mozilla preferces over and over to see if there is some kind
of setting, but don't see anything. Does anyone have any idea what mozilla
could be doing?

BTW, I tried Kmail and it has the same problem! So it could be something in
outlook? Ideas of where I could start to look would be welcome.

TIA

=====

There is an article in the February issue of Linux Journal about replacing Microshaft Exchange (there is a commercial product at http://www.bynari.net/insightserver.html).
From what I can tell Outlook users who connect to the Exchange server exchange messages in a proprietary format with proprietary headers (Corporate WorkGroup Mode). When you connect with Mozilla as a POP client, it can't decode this format. If your send mail with Mozilla, it never converts the mail to a non standard format, so you can read it just fine. If the Outlook users were to be connected to a standard POP/IMAP server they would be in Internet Mail Only Mode and would stick closer to the standard so you could probably read their stuff. If your mail were on a different non-Exchange system, mail from your Outlook/Exchange users would have to go through an MTA which would recode the message and headers to standard before sending it on to the remote system. You should be able to read that fine too. The problem is indeed the use of a non-standards based mail system.

We have a similar situation here. The primary campus mail system is Lotus Blotes. It uses a proprietary format for messages between Blotes Client/Server users. If a message is sent to a non Blotes mail system, the MTA converts it to standard (usually very poorly, I'm sure the same is true of Exchange). If a user connects to the Blotes server with a standard client, such as Mozilla, via POP/IMAP they cannot view the formatting of the message properly because it is still in a Blotes proprietary format.

Only thing I know that might work is to have your mail forwarded to another non-Exchange server and see if the MTA converts it to standards well enough for your client to interpret it.

Jason Joines
Open Source = Open Mind