I've got sort of a weird issue with a firewall I manage.   The thing has
seven (7) interfaces, eth0 - eth6.  Three of the interfaces are physcially
pci ethernet nic's using the via-rhine kernel module (eth0 - eth2).  The
remaining four are on a quad fast ethernet card based on the Sun HappyMeal
driver (sunhme) (eth3-eth6).  This critter, the firewall, only does
routing, NAT, ip packet filtering, and vpn (ipsec with freeswan).

interface       driver          description
eth0:           via-rhine       external internet interface
eth1:           via-rhine       internal business lan
eth2:           via-rhine       dmz for the wireless isp services we provide
eth3:           sunhme          internal lan for showroom computers
eth4:           sunhme          internal lan for remote service monitoring
eth5:           sunhme          internal lan for R&D
eth6:           sunhme          internal lan for shop service work

The weird issue is this, eth0 -> eth3 do their job.  They forward packets,
do NAT, filter packets accordingly.  eth4 -> eth6 do not forward and/or
NAT packets.  I'm pretty sure that the netfilter rulesets are proper for
job they need to do. I've reviewed them several times, compared them with
rulesets on interfaces that do work.  The review includes the shell
scripts that I initially use to setup the rulesets as well as the
resulting output from "service iptables save" and "service iptables
status".

I am reluctant to post the results of the above here as they are all quite
lengthy.

One of the questions I've come up with is...  Might I be coming up against
kernel parameter limitations?  Another thought is that there might be some
issue with the Sun Quad Ethernet card that I am unfamiliar with.

Any pointers or references would be appreciated.