Not to be anal, but BSD is not a unix-like OS, it IS Unix.
Unlike Linux, BSD stems from the original AT&T/Bell unix code.

That said, Aaron's assessment is almost exactly what I would say.  I have
heard that FreeBSD can serve files with Samba faster than NetWare, and is
supposed to be just as stable.  Microsoft would be good to aim for such
goals.  Their implementation of NetBIOS is as pathetic as their stability.