I have to share my story, so disregard if you don't want to hear it.

This morning I got a call from a client that I had done some work for last
Thursday.  He wanted me to come back in and help him because his freshly
installed Win98 machine was toes up.  From the description, I would say
that was a fair assessment-dead.  He would get the "Loading Windows 98..."
and then WHAM!  He got his "Compaq" boot screen again.  I told him that I
would be in later in the morning and take a look, but it sounded like his
install was toast and that he'd end up reinstalling yet again... and tried
to bite my lip on suggesting Linux on his desktop for the moment.  He's
not ready yet.  But I WAS thinking about my bootable Linux options so I
could SMBMOUNT his neighbor's drive and get his data off the computer.
"Man, I wish I had burned that copy of Knoppix I d/l'ed the other day."

Anyway, before I could go solve his problem I had a meeting, which never
materialized.  But as I waited for someone to find the person responsible
for the meeting, I ended up discussing some non-related computer problems
with her boss.  My answer, commonly hated among Windows buffs: flaky
Windows problem... as indeed it was.  Her tech-guy laughed and as it turns
out, he's a Linux guy as well.  When I showed him my SuSE8.1 install on my
laptop, he brought up Knoppix.  Oddly enough, he had a spare copy lying
around so he gave it to me.

I show up at my other client, Knoppix in hand.  I verified what he was
relaying to me, and explained the issue and resolution.  I pop in the
Knoppix CD, choose "wm" (or KDE), and away we went.  No DHCP server, so I
switched to VC1 and configured the NIC easily enough, and smbmount'ed a
share on another PC (no server in this place), and copied 1/2 GB in about
10 minutes.  Nice.  Very nice.  Both Windows partitions showed up in KDE
as mountable partitions, etc...  All very pretty.

And it was that simple!

This is my first experience with Knoppix, but it won't be my last.  YMMV