Perhaps a thousand AVAILABLE eyes is a better mantra.  It's not that everyone
is always doing code review on everyone's code.  But when it is needed, anyone
can look and fix.  Many people learn to code by looking at OSS code (and the
stuff I have personally reviewed has been pretty top-notch from a design
standpoint)