On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 18:57:03 -0500
Klaus-Peter Schrage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Net Llama! wrote:
>
> >>Now, Red Hat 8.0 already has 2.3.2 (-4.80) via up2date, which is a
> >big>nuisance to the wine people (and me as a wine addict): wine
> >simply won't>run under glib 2.3.x, and it seems to be quite a hassle
> >to make it run>under the new glibc.
> >

> > do you know why it won't run?  i use wine occasionally, so this
> > might be an issue.
>
> See
> http://www.winehq.org/news/?view=155

Too bad this is a private server:  "Forbidden You don't have permission
.."

> There have been more discussions in several threads on the wine-devel
> list. Klaus

<a little rant>

This is one of the reasons that progress is so slow in the free software
environment.  Every other time they upgrade <pick a major gnu or linux
software function>, it renders everything (or large portions) obsolete
and unusable for a while.  Changing the calling sequence or returns from
a favorite function, or function abc() is now deprecated, and everyone
needs to use abc_d(), etc.  It matters not whether it's glibc, XFree,
KDE, or GNOME - they always reinvent the wheel and change the rules.

I've been spoiled working in the IBM mainframe software arena for most
of my adult life.  When you upgrade from one IBM OS release to another,
most of the time you don't even need to recompile/reassemble unless you
want to exploit some new functionality.

</a little rant>