An unnamed Administration source, Collins Richey, wrote:
% On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 20:57:53 -0500
% Kurt Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
%
% > Oops - I managed to wipe out the list of subscribers to my little
% > Slackware list here at KurtWerks during an upgrade. :-\ If you're
% > interesed in (re)subscribing, please visit
% > http://www.kurtwerks.com/mailman/listinfo/slackware/
% >
% > Sorry for the inconvenience. I learned how to back up my Mailman
% > installation, so it's not a total loss. ;-)
% >
%
% It turns out, the answer is:  X doesn't like the comment line.  When I
% remove this, everything works.  I never could find after going through
% the man files where the syntax for .Xdefaults is located.  If someone
% could comment on that, I would love to hear about it.

For historical reasons, X uses "!" rather than "#" to mark
comments.

Kurt
--
Mosher's Law of Software Engineering:
        Don't worry if it doesn't work right.  If everything did, you'd