Cool. I note that it says you can also turn to using passive FTP at the client. Internet Explorer allows you to set the browser to use passive FTP.

At 03:09 PM 6/18/03 -0700, Aaron Grewell wrote:
There may be a firewall module that needs to be loaded in order to correctly
handle ftp.  Unfortunately that system is so old that I no longer remember
what said module would be called.  Ah, but Google remembers.

http://www.linux.net.nz/lists/NZLUG/2000/06/0086.html

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 03:01 pm, Jason Joines wrote:
>   I inherited (old admin left, boss said "this is yours") a RH 6.2
> server that runs a web application via apache and mysql.  It generates a
> link that points to an ftp URL to retrieve spreadsheets.  The URL is
> something like ftp://user:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/filename.xls.  I had put up an
> ipchains firewall on the box and opened port 21, expecting that I might
> also have to open port 20.  I tested by retrieving a file via ftp from
> the command line on my SuSE desktop system.
>   Then I got reports that the users couldn't retrieve the files.  The
> logs showed rejections from the user's machines to a variety of
> arbitrary high tcp ports.  The were not replies but initiated
> connections as I have allowed replies via:
>
> $ipchains -A input -s $anyhost -d $thishost 1024:65535 -p tcp -i eth0 !
> -y -j ACCEPT
>
>   The users have IE x.x on win2k.  I had one of them try to retrieve a
> file via the win2k command line and that worked just fine.  So, I tried
> Mozilla 1.4rc1 on my SuSE box.  Then I had the same problem as the users
> and the log showed rejections from my box to arbitrary high tcp ports on
> the server.
>
>   It looks like the ftp in the browser's is doing something odd.  The
> server is running wu-ftpd 2.60.
>
>   Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason Joines

Stuart Biggerstaff

Linda Hall Library of Science Engineering & Technology
5109 Cherry St.
Kansas City, MO 64110

Phone:  (816) 926-8748
        (800) 662-1545 x748