I'm sitting here looking at two Sony Vaio laptops.  Both have a directory
that contains our test software.  In this directory (on both machines) is a
file called Testit.  An ls -l of Testit on the old machine returns:
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root             60 Jun 25  2001 Testit

The new machine is only different in size (echo statements to indicate
progress) and date (just created).  The executable script is the same.

On both machines I am logged on as root.  On the newer machine I can not
execute this file.  It returns:

wobbly nfcs # Testit
bash: ./Testit: Permission denied

The old (working) machine is running RedHat 6.2.  The new machine is running
a newly installed Gentoo system.

OK, I'm baffled.  I've got the permissions set right, I've got '.' included
in my path (yes, I know that can be dangerous), the executable contents are
identical.  What gives?  The answer is bound to be so simple I'll hit my
forehead with a brick when I find it, but can someone speed that process up?

In Harmony's Way, and In A Chord,

Tom  :-})

Thomas A. Condon
Barbershop Bass Singer