If you prefer the more active, yet still netizen-kosher approach:

www.hexillion.com

Type in the IP Address at the bottom and the resulting information should list one or
more email addresses of individuals responsible for that NetBlock.  Complain to them.
Either they will ignore you, or they will investigate.  "whois" also does this but
since there are several registries and hexillion does a nice job.  I have had scripts
run to identify naughties in firewall logs and trigger an email to the people
responsible.  Some ignored me, but many called or emailed back and it generated a lot
of good.  Some hacking attempts are actually zombies and administrators are interested
in how to track down and kill them.  I met a lot of people this way, most of whom
didn't have a clue but were willing to learn.  If you are polite and helpful, this
does a lot for the Internet community, as well as your reputation, and that of Linux
since Linux will most likely find its way into the conversation.

There have been many times that retaliation sounded great, but unfortunately you never
know what innocent victim you may be killing since most naughties are done from
previously compromised systems.

--
Matthew Carpenter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                          http://www.eisgr.com/

Enterprise Information Systems
*Network Consulting, Integration & Support
*Web Development and E-Business