On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 04:34 pm, James McDonald wrote:

> I tried to use gconfig last night and it failed miserably too Keith I
> tried to do the same install stuff and got the dependency night mare
> aswell.
>
> BUT... make xconfig (which launches the QT interface worked fine). So if
> your not biased against KDE/AT then just use that.

Its the challange that I love, even if I do not succeed. Thats was whole point
in drawing me into Linux, now they are making it too difficult for the non
tech software guy. I wnat to get gconfig to work to see if it is simpler than
the other commands to handle, especially as compiling a kernel is now much
more difficult if the documentation is lacking/poor.

I was able to handle the very early 0.xx series kernels on command line, but
they were time consuming, mainly due to low speed buses. Somewhere about the
begining of the 2 series or slightly earlier, they got X/gui and xconfig,
which made it all simpler. Also with the advent of faster proceeeors/buses it
was a dream. Now they are giving us a massive information overload: I wonder
sometimes if progress is worth the it, course I am locked into memories etc
now and my learning curve is too steep.

--
Keith Antoine (GANDALF) aka 'SKIPPY'
18 Arkana St, The Gap, Queensland 4061, Australia:: PH:61733002161