On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 19:49, Keith Antoine wrote:
> I am after 2 years or so still dissatisfied with Mandarke/SuSe, in point of
> fact I have after spending much money given Suse away and am thinkink of
> doing the same with Mandrake.
>
> Mandrake is great but for one thing, installation of rpms through urpmi and
> all its inherant dependencies. If the rpm is not a mandrake compiled the it
> is fairly certain it will either reject it out of hand or the dependencies
> are an absolute menace.
>
> Now what I want is the old Caldera back and updated, but that is a pipe dream
> of course. So I have Redhat 9.0 (shrike) and also Slackware 9.0 on cd's. As I
> do not wish, as I have done in the past, start a flame war: Could I ask for
> some detatched and dispasionate thoughts on both of these, ease of install
> also how good are they seeing 100% of hardware installed, no real big
> gotchas.
>
> How arev they with tarball installs and also rpm's. How well do they stick to
> std program install no beta install or esoteric installs that need
> workrounds.
>
> I am sure that you all know what I want, I have not asked for any others as I
> know little re the rest. However feedback would be appreciated, again I ask
> no "this is a great OS' without the reasons as to why. <grin> Now what have I
> started !!

As much as I like and prefer to use Slackware for my own purposes (and
reasons) I would recommend that you give RH 9.0 a go. I tried it out
here and liked it because it detected and set up everything that was
plugged in and/or turned on during the install - it even picks up newly
attached or detached devices (at least on startup/reboot).

You will likely need to find and install certain multimedia packages
(mp3 players, video players, etc.) but, being Red Hat, the binaries are
never far away or hard to find.

There, not a flame to be seen ;o)

HTH
--