On 08/08/03 20:38, Alma J Wetzker wrote:

"Net Llama!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:26:25 -0700
On 08/08/03 15:04, Alma J Wetzker wrote:

Our IEEE chapter at school is going to setup a linux cluster. Does anyone have any experience/advice/interesting opinions about doing so? I am wondering if there is a good distro or any other wonderfulnes that will make the thing fun and last the semester.

What do you plan to use it for? 'clusters' have *ALOT* of different meanings and uses, and that is heavily dependent on how you set one up.

We plan on using it to learn how to setup clusters.

Let me rephrase. You're asking 'how do i setup a cluster'. I stated that there is no such thing as one type of cluster. Its as if you asked 'how do i create software?'. There's not a single type of software, or even a single programming language to write the software.

My personal interest is distributed applications, so a virtual machine running a database would be good. But we don't have the disk space to make it worthwhile. I hope to use more than one configuration before we are done.

Well, there are alot of different types of databases out there, some with excellent clustering support, some without. Oracle & DB2 have pretty decent distributed processing support. The amount of diskspace isn't really an issue unless you plan to start dumping large chunks of data into the DB. Otherwise, a database will remain as small as you want it to.

Like i already said, clusters are not a singular thing, like apache, or fortran programming. Its a very broad field, and you need to think about what part of it you're interested in persuing, as there isn't a single method that applies to everything. A cluster is just more than one physical computer working together to accomplish a single task. Be it data storage, numerical computation, graphic rendering, or something else altogether. Once you figure that out with a degree of specificity, then you can move towards determining how to set one up.