> > Wait, didn't they switch to a different file?  I think the new
> > kernel uses /etc/modprobe.conf, and a slightly different format to
> > boot.  IIRC last time I lived dangerously (2.5.5x) I had to
> > basically recreate the whole thing because the included conversion
> > script didn't work for me. Hopefully it's gotten better since then.
>
> I think i've heard that too, but i can't find any doumentation on the
> format for modprobe.conf, so i don't know where to begin in creating
> it.

The source distribution for module-init-tools comes with a manpage for
it, so 'man modprobe.conf' should work.  If not, the manpage is in the
source directory, so 'man ./modprobe.conf.5' should work from there.
I'd also try running the generate-modprobe.conf script to see if it's
smart enough to auto-gen for your setup.  You might not have to do
anything at all.