On 16 Aug 2003 04:23:29 -0400
burns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Code that causes this much disruption of commerce is anything but
> benign. These are more than just the digital equivalent of a rck thrown
> through a window, they suck up huge amounts of bandwidth, both as people
> attempt to deal with them and for the fact that many carry DDoS
> elements, plus they cause significant loss in productivity.
>
> The people that write and launch these programs in the wild should
> caught and forced to do something really unpleasant for a very long
> time.

I wouldn't argur this fact.  What I am saying is that the Windows world ain't seen
nothing yet.  So far we have seen disruption, a little DOS here and there (and the
list of totally fscked companies is long and distinguished).  I'm not saying this
isn't very disruptive and hugely problematic (especially since I believe the power
grid thing is related :)
But so far I'm not in fear for my credit card numbers, my mortgage information, and
many other things that could be put in danger.  Disruption, however unsettling and
unpleasant, is such a minor use of the technology of these worms.  Imagine if the
writers had truely malignant purposes.,.