Tom Marinis wrote:
Ted Ozolins wrote:

Collins Richey wrote:

The one thing we Americans and Canadians have in common, besides the language, is the best politicians money can buy. They all suck.

I just learned that the reason that we (here in B. C.) are short of manpower to address these fires is that a Workers Compaensation ruling requires that anyone fighting a forest fire must possess cirtification by the Forestry. I've heard of all kinds of stupidity but this takes the cake. I think its time for a class action suit against WCB. I can not believe that a private organization none of which are elected officials can pass laws. I thought that within the british-north amercan act states that only elected officials can pass laws here. Dang I better drop this.

I was just out of highschool, and was tree-planter/firefighter for the summer in and around the Penticton area in mid 1987.

The only WCB regs at that time were the requirements for
safety gear ( you know, gloves, brain bucket, boots,
cover alls ), a manditory 2 hr training course on how to fight
forest fires, and a single guy with Industrial First Aid for
crew of fire fighters.

Back then it was; for every 5 man firefighter crew, you had
to have a I.F.A. Level 1 ticket holder in the group.

If the crew was 20 or over, the I.F.A. guy had to be
LEVEL 3.

Now your saying the volunteers firefighters need Forestry
Certification ?  What the heck is that exactly?

Damn, things have changed a lot in BC since the mid 1990's. I never heard about this before, and I live here.

Yup, I live here as well and untill now was not aware of it iether. I guess that is why the Canadian forces personel were stuck in Vernon training camp for a while to obtain their training (and not just a couple of hours) This whole thing sucks.

--
Ted Ozolins (VE7TVO)
Westbank, B. C.