Quoth Kevin O'Gorman:
> I don't know what I did the last time I went to adjust my machine's
> clock, but it seems Linux no longer talks nice to the hardware clock.
> Every time I boot, the clock is off by 7 hours, and for my setup
> thats usually once a day (no fault of Linux, I just have to shut this
> off at night).
>
> The system is RH 7.3, and the contents of /etc/sysconfig/clock are
>
> ZONE="America/Los_Angeles"
> UTC=false
> ARC=false

Do you have an /etc/localtime file? If so, it probably is a symlink
to the actual timezone file.

> I keep the hardware clock in local time because I dual-boot to other
> OS-es once in a while.  Here's what it looks like:

Okay. It seems like you should be able to rerun the timezone
configuration portion of setup and make sure that everything is
copacetic.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] rc.d]# /sbin/hwclock -r
> Fri 15 Aug 2003 07:53:56 AM PDT  0.849306 seconds
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] rc.d]# /sbin/hwclock -r --localtime
> Fri 15 Aug 2003 07:54:12 AM PDT  0.268908 seconds
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] rc.d]# /sbin/hwclock -r --utc
> Fri 15 Aug 2003 12:54:18 AM PDT  0.280746 seconds
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] rc.d]#

hwclock --hctosys (or hwclock -s) should sync the system time
to the the hardware clock.

> However, on each reboot KDE's clock in the panel, and the 'date'
> program both report time as if I used UTC; in the above example
> that was 12:54 AM.
>
> I'm baffled and sleepless in California.....

Presumably, nptdate (deprecated for "ntpd -q", it appears) should be
able to set your hardware clock to the "right" time so long as you have
an NTP server setup in /etc/ntp.conf.

Kurt
--
Yesterday I was a dog.  Today I'm a dog.  Tomorrow I'll probably still
be a dog. Sigh!  There's so little hope for advancement.