On Sun, Aug 24, 2003, Shawn Tayler wrote:
>On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:00:14 -0600 Collins Richey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>professed:
>
>> And saddest of all, 99% of all vendors still support this crap and
>> refuse to work with linux to make a safe and sound, easy to use product.
>
>I'll tell you why right now.
>
>No markup on free software, also the Linux boxes, along with some OS/2,
>that I have installed, I hardly ever see, to the point I sometimes forget
>the root passwd.  They just work, no call backs not repairs, no time and
>materials charges.  Now the Winblows boxes need attention very regularly,
>at least once a month, so there is plenty of billable time.

There's no substantial markup on non-free software either.  Microsoft makes
85% of the profit, and the VAR/Reseller is lucky to get 5%.

The problem with your second argument is that it's like selling people
defective cars and continually billing for repairs.  Personally I find this
practice abhorent.  I have always done business with the philosophy that my
job is to minimize our customer's costs, with the most reliable systems
possible.  We charge monthly support, and handle almost everything using
ssh over the 'net or dialups.  It's very rare when we have to go on-site
other than to install new hardware.

It's true enough that there's a major segment of the IT economy that
depends on Microsoft's crappy software (e.g. McAfee, Norton, and all the
MCSE's who make their living reinstalling Windows).  When we go to a new
prospect, we have to be talking to the people who actually pay the bills,
not to the IT folks since they know that it's our intention to make their
jobs obsolete.

BTW:  We did lose a new customer about a year ago.  They came to us to
straighten out a Linux mail server that somebody else had installed, and
were having problems with their 30 or so Windows machines.  We were
proposing replacing some or all of the Windows boxes with either Linux or
eMacs and getting rid of the full-time person they had keeping the Windows
boxes running when the BSA extortionists hit them with about 80 grand in
licensing charges.  This was the straw that broke them, and the company
went out of business.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics
won'ttake an interest in you. -- Pericles