On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:00:25 -0500
Jason Joines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   We just got a new CIO at the university where I work.  One thing he
>   is
> about to do is get rid of all the different mail systems and have one
> big combined system for all employees and students.  That'll be about
> 50,000 users.
>
>   At the moment the predominant faculty/staff mail system is Lotus
> Domino on windows 2k and the predominant system for students is Sun
> Internet Mail Server on Solaris.  He intends to replace these with ms
> exchange on windows 2k.  There is a small chance he will listen to
> suggestions to consider non-exchange options.
>
>   Any suggestions?

If he's serious about Exchange with 50k+ users, I suggest you find a new
job (the recent posting to this list comes to mind).  Not even M$ can
get this to work.  You'll need one exchange server per 500 users (so
100+ Win2k systems running Exchange should work) -- or, one Linux box
using something like PowerMail (and PostgreSQL), although I'd suggest 3
systems for good failover capability.

Also, the PowerMail solution will cost you about half a million $$$ less
and not have nearly the headaches.  BTW, to run 100+ Win2k servers,
you'll need at least 10 more Windoze admins too (not included in above
cost savings estimate, so estimate over $1,000,000 in savings per year).

OTOH, if this guys importance is measured in terms of the size of his
budget and not his successful accomplishments, only M$ will do.  M$, the
empire builders' dream.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                Nemesis Racing Team motto
GPG key autoresponder:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]