On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:50:07 -0600
Collins Richey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:02:09 -0500
> Alan Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I installed Gentoo a week ago, and it has mostly been quite smooth.
> >
> > However.... some, but not all, of my modules missed getting compiled.
> > In particular, usb/printer doesn't seem to want to compile. I ran
> > make modules_install
> > and it didn't help. I get no errors, I just don't get a
> > printer.o file created. Any suggestions?
> >
> > This is making it hard for me to print!
> >

> Never heard of this.  Which of the many kernel offerings on gentoo are
> you using?  Have you tried with the plain vanilla kernel?  You mentioned
> make modules_install.  Did you do make modules first?

I got the gentoo CD and followed the directions for a stage 3 install
with a vanilla kernel. Nothing fancy. Going through make config I see
that, curiously, the default for usb printers is "no". I'm pretty sure
the standard install never gave me an opportunity to tell it to compile
that module. Or maybe I just missed it.