On 9/16/2003 12:23 PM, someone claiming to be Jason Joines wrote:

Michael Hipp wrote:

Jason Joines wrote:

When I do the same thing in a script via cron, I get the error in the ouput even with 2>/dev/null.

I generally use &> /dev/null to keep things quiet.

You can also put that at the end of the line in /etc/crontab to quiet the whole cron job.

Michael

I tried the &>/dev/null but that gets rid of the non-error output as well. I want that ouput.

The 2>/dev/null directive in the cron job sends the error output of the cron job to /dev/null, you want the error output of the script to go to /dev/null. Not sure how exaclty to do that, but perhaps by entering '<scriptname> 2>dev/null' as the command to execute in the cron job? Either that, or write a wrapper script to call your script with the command parameters.

HTH,
Tim