On Fri, Sep 26, 2003, Kurt Wall wrote:
>Oh, this is just *too* ridiculous. I log my spam rejections and keep a
>graph of rejected connection attempts to my SMTP server. Thanks to
>Swen, on 24 September, Postfix rejected 4628 attempts just from hosts
>lacking hostnames that resolve to known IP address.

I'm not sure you can attribute that entirely to the latest worm to attach
the Microsoft virus, Windows.  Of 13,503 rejected attempts on our primary
mail server yesterday, 6,557 were for no rDNS, 1,220 from bad HELO
(attempting to masquerade as one of our servers), 1,599 from bad MAIL FROM
(no ``A'' or ``MX'' records for the domain part of the alleged sender).
Our backup mail server rejected 26,965 attempts, 6,181 for no rDNS, 6,710
bad HELO, and 1,631 for bad MAIL FROM.

I'm seeing about 300 incoming worms a day just to my personal addresses,
almost all of which claim to be patches for Windows.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a
man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    -- Winston Churchill