SCO Says IBM's Amended Complaint, Based on GPL, is Built on a Shaky
Foundation

LINDON, Utah-September 29, 2003-The SCO Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:  SCOX)
today made the following announcement:

On Friday, September 26, IBM filed an amendment to its legal complaint
against The SCO Group. In this amended complaint IBM asserts that SCO
has violated the GNU General Public License (GPL), and based on this
violation has then violated certain IBM copyrights. IBM, not SCO, has
brought the GPL into the legal controversy between the two companies.
SCO believes that the GPL -- created by the Free Software Foundation to
supplant current U.S. copyright laws -- is a shaky foundation on which
to build a legal case. By contrast, SCO continues to base its legal
claims on well-settled United States contract laws and United States
copyright laws.

The GPL has never faced a full legal test, and SCO believes that it will
not stand up in court. We are confident that SCO will win the legal
battle that IBM has now started over the GPL. By so strongly defending
the controversial GPL, IBM is also defending a questionable licensing
scheme through which it can avoid providing software indemnification
for its customers. We continue to urge IBM to provide legal
indemnification for its Linux customers.
--
dep

Whatever law is after, it is not the whole story.
                                -- Clifford Geertz