Mozilla 1.5 is out for a little time now, and if you don't like ugly fonts and don't want to waste time searching and doing frustrating installs (as I did), then you should get the 'xft-enabled' build from
ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.5/
or from your favourit mirror.
It's hidden in the contrib/ directory!!!
I have downloaded and installed (by simply uncompressing)
mozilla-1.5-xft-optimizedi686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2,
and now I have beautifully looking fonts.
There is a README in that directory, but the xft builds aren't mentioned anywhere else on the mozilla.org site.
Hope this saves others some headaches ...
Klaus