Greetings Bob,

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Robert E.Raymond wrote:

> On Thursday 30 October 2003 20:08, Kurt Wall wrote:
> > Quoth Robert E.Raymond:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm testing sendmail.

   ...stuff Bobbettized...

> But it still doesn't work!
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I followed the SxS to the letter....
>
> Do I need my own domain to do it properly?
>
> If you're wondering why a home user would want sendmail for himself, I just
> want it so I can send large files by email to people who don't have enough
> FTP upload accounts, as the Earthlink SMTP server has a 10 MB filesize limit.

   Sendmail ships with its configuration set to ONLY listen to the
loopback device.  You can reconfigure it by simply changing one line (no
need to run m4 and all that crap!).

  vi /etc/sendmail.cf

  Find for the line containing:  "DaemonPortOptions"

  It will probably look like this:

O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA

  Change it to look like this:

O DaemonPortOptions=Name=MTA

   Stop and start sendmail...

   By not defining any ports in "DaemonPortOptions" you are telling
sendmail to listen to ALL interfaces on your machine.  So if you ever
define alias interfaces on your ethernet, and add additional ethernet
cards, your sendmail will work automagically with those new interfaces :-)

   Enjoy!

      --- Jay

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)
| Jay Nugent   [EMAIL PROTECTED]    (734)484-5105    (734)544-4326/Fax        |
| Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |