On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 09:15, Tom Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 22:10, Alan Jackson wrote:
> > I have one of those little nagging problems that mystifies me.
> >
> > I'm running gentoo 2.4.20-r6 with KDE 3.1.2. The problem? I cannot
> > get the screensaver to work. I set it up, the test works fine, but then
> > it never automatically starts. Has anyone seen this before?
>
> I have a similar problem.  Sometimes the screensave kicks in, sometimes
> it doesn't.  If the screensaver hasn't started after the set time, open
> a terminal and do a ps -ef.  Look for a process that has something like
> kdedesktop_lock or desktop_lock or something like that.  I can't
> remember exactly what it is but it has the lock at the end.  Kill that
> process and the screensaver should kick on.

I just had the problem and here is the exact name of the process.  It is
'/usr/bin/kdesktop_lock'.  Kill that process and the screensaver will
come on next time.

Tom Wilson
McSwain Carpets
513.771.1400 x124
-----
"It is better for civilization to be going down the drain than to be
coming up it." -- Henry Allen