On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Condon Thomas A KPWA wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've been running SuSE 8.0 on my home system (primary
> desktop/mail-reader/web surfer) for some time.  My boot and / disk is a 20GB
> EIDE disk (master on 1st IDE).  I decided to upgrade to SuSE 9.0 while
> adding an additional NIC and a 250GB EIDE drive.  So I carefully saved some
> data and shut down normally.  I disconnected the old boot disk to insure
> nothing could happen to it.  I had troubles booting off the new disk, so I
> re-connected the old disk to boot from it.
>
> No luck.  The reiserfs is showing problems.  The error message asks for the
> root password to allow me to repair it and says it is mounted read only, so
> it shows how to mount it r/w so I can run reiserfsck and fix it.  I try
> that.  Can't run portions of the fix/test if it is mounted read/write.  So I
> tried it in read only mode.  It can't run other portions of the test/fix if
> it is read only.  Neither way can complete the fix of the disk so it will
> boot or is even usable.
>
> BIOS recognizes the disk.  The /boot partition is ext2, the / partition is
> reiserfs.
>
> I'm open to suggestions.
>
> At work now, so I can't test this, but I suspect that I should have popped
> in my Knoppix CD and gotten it up and running and used it to fix the hard
> drive.  Does that sound feasible?
>
> There may be a more severe hardware problem (see following plea for help).

I'll admit outright up front, that i know nothing about Reiser, but with
all the other filesystems i've used, you can't run a fsck unless its
unounted or readonly.  Maybe reiserFS is different in that respect, but
i'd be quite surprised if they managed to design the FS so that it could
be writable while being repaired.

If you've got KNOPPIX, or some other rescue bootable disk handy, i'd
suggest using that and not even mounting the / partition, and trying to
repair it again.