FYI, in case you, or anyone you know, are using a 3Com NIC in their Linux box
and are seeing lots of dropped packets. If your driver is compiled static,
the option has to be added to the boot args.

At 12:01 PM 7/24/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>If I do a complete network scan (nmap: tcp connect)over my lan, my
>bridge(kernel
>2.2.19 + ipchains) gives a error message(see subject), if the scan gets to
>x.x.x.184. This machine is not behind the bridge, but it is connected in the
>same HUB. If it gets to x.x.x.191, wich is behind the bridge, I don't get
> this message.
>I have got two 3c905 and one 3c905b.
>Could it be that my bridge(pentium 200) is to slow to handle that much
>connection tries in that short time? If so, can it still handle the full
>through
>put (100MBit) if there are not that much connection tries?
>Or Is the computer fast enough and it is another problem?
>
>         Thanks Matze

Hi!  I had the same problem with 3Com cards at a previous job.

Add this line to your /etc/conf.modules file, to add these options to the
kernel driver:

options 3c59x max_interrupt_work=10000

It strangely defaults to 20, which is much too small.  The driver fails if
more than this number of packets arrive per interrupt.  Increase this
number to a huge value that will never be reached.  Some say there might be
a drawback to using such a large value, but I have never had problems with
it in my experience.

Josh

--
Douglas J. Hunley ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) - Linux User #174778
Admin: http://hunley.homeip.net/        Admin: http://linux.nf/

~~ Now offering Linux admin services for the home user ~~

It takes an uncommon mind to think of these things.
                        --- Calvin