I have a Yamaha 4416e ide version of your scsi.  It'll be 2 years old in
October and still running strong(knock on wood).  Either get a Plextor or
Yamaha, rated #1 & #2 respectively.  As far as IDE v. SCSI, their isn't much
difference in linux and they are equalably reliable.  Any other brand is a
crap shoot.  Most are made by other manufacturers and are re-boxes.  But then
again, you might buy a $75 USD cdrw and it'll last for years, then again, it
could fail the day after it's warranty expires.YMMV

Jim

--

  5:42pm  up 12 days, 18:16,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00