On Friday 07 September 2001 09:01, Tim Wunder babbled:
> Hi folks,
> It seems, at least from a response on the kde-linux list I'm on, that gcc
> 2.95, which eW31 has, does not contain optimization code for athlon. This
> is claimed to be the cause of my system architecture being i686 despite
> checking Athlon in the kernel make xconfig (a post on the Caldera list that
> I didn't cross-post here). So the task at hand now is to upgrade gcc to a
> version that supports athlon optimizations.
> It appears that the SxS doesn't have anything listed for updating gcc. So
> before I download the latest 3.01 gcc, I'm looking for caveats from the
> bright folks on this list. Should I use 3.01, or another version (or just
> use the one i have and live with i686 optimizations)? What, other than gcc,
> should get updated in the process? Should I update glibc, too?
> As always, your assistance is greatly appreciated,
> Tim

I (like Llama) wouldn't use a 3.x release yet. In theory, 2.95.4 will have
Athlon support. Upgrading gcc is painless.. see
http://hunley.homeip.net/linux_sources/utils/gcc_notes

on another note.. you can compile code that is optimized for athlons without
upgrading gcc... simply use the following as both CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS when
compiling stuff:
-O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -march=i686 -mcpu=i686
-fno-strength-reduce -pipe -malign-functions=4 -funroll-loops
-fexpensive-optimizations -fschedule-insns2 -mwide-multiply

(you might want to omit the -O6 though as some stuff gets flaky with it)
!

--
Douglas J. Hunley ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) - Linux User #174778
Admin: http://hunley.homeip.net/        Admin: http://linux.nf/

~~ Now offering Linux admin services for the home user ~~

NON-SMOKING AREA: If we see you smoking, we will assume you are on fire and
promptly put you out.