anyone with knowlegde than I could answer him direct and cc to me please.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you Keith and Linux affecionados: I am relatively new to Linux,
having a copy of Esmith server and lots of user reports of its utility.
The network setup is as follows:
Lan:  NT4 Terminal Server Edition with 5user Citrix metaframe license.
12user CAL     P2 450 512MB RAM.
Netfinity5000 server.    RAID for twin HDs
          NT4 workstations *8, soon to be 11,  P2 450  64MB RAM   10/100
ethernet.  16port hub, not switched. Internet
     router with firewall, not meant to be user or application specific,
just to keep others out.
Wan: *3 citrix clients over individual copper phone lines.

The software running is:
     1. A medical practice management program. Windows based. MS SQL
database.
     2. A medical clinical notes patient management program. Windows based,
presently Foxpro database,            moving in Nov01 to MS SQL database
also
     3. Lotus domino server. Lotus notes clients.

The system is just over 2yrs old. The speed on lan is fine. Over wan is
acceptable. Bandwidth is probably the limiting factor here.    With
increase in lan and movt of both programs to client/server architecture the
server may not cope cpu wise. Also the HDD space needs an increase,
presently twin 9.1 GB, RAID mirroring. Hot swappable. Do we increase the
existing HDD space within the same server box, with only a cpu upgrade to
P2 600 possible? Or can we run a linux file server? Can it allow the MS SQL
database to reside on the linux server, to be accessed by the two main
programs elsewhere? Will this help?  Will it slow the system to separate
the programs from the database hardware, particularly for the citrix
clients, who always suffer if there is sytem speed degradation. Is citrix
necessary with Linux?  Can linux run the windows programs in  win-4-linux
or whatever it is called?

Thank you for any advice re linux in respect of the above, or the needed
enhancements.
Greg Silver
To make yourself look truthful one has to lie, as most people
do not want to kmow the truth; but only that which they believe.