On Tuesday 18 September 2001 19:12, Lee wrote:

| Not so wimpy. The 223 has more knock down than the .303. The bullet
| moves at 3,300 ft/sec and spins at anywhere between 18,000 to
| 24,000 rpm (depending on rifling twist). When it hits something
| soft it tends to keyhole (turns end for end) at the same time it is
| still spinning at 24,000 rpm. It's like getting hit with a ball of
| whirling razor blades.  Its only draw back is that it is a lousy
| round in brush, that's where the heavier slower .303 has an
| advantage. There aren't a lot of bushes in Afghanistan.

i'll go with the big, heavy, slower bullet everytime. we don't have
true hydrostatic shock in the .223 yet -- jeff cooper wrote
wonderfully 25 years ago about a .17 spitzer out of a gas-operated
pistol at 4,500 fps. *that* would produce hydrostatic shock.

and i've yet to see *any* reputable study that gives greater stopping
power to a smaller slug. the advantage of the big slug is that it
expends its energy in the target, instead of whatever is behind the
target.

--
dep

There is sobbing of the strong,