I would say...  Is there any way around your requirements?

HP (and Microtek) make pretty decent stuff, but mainly for low-end graphic
arts work:  not high-speed or larger format.  Then there's always Fujitsu,
and they seem affordable for production scanners, but theirs leave you with
a choice between color and larger formats.  VERY good stuff, though.

Under $1000.00 for one (ScanPartner 15C) that does all you want but is
8.5x11 (8.5x14 for the ADF).  $4-5000.00 for one (M3096GX) that's faster,
does 11 x 17, but is monochrome.  Unfortunately, theirs just seem to just
get faster but stay monochrome as you spend more--though it appears there
is something called the M4097D that is large-format, color, and puts us
right back where you were before in terms of price.
At 11:04 PM 9/19/01 -0400, Ian wrote:
>Chang wrote:
> >
> > take a look at http://linux.nf first.
> > HP is the usual choice.
> >
> > Ian Marchak wrote:
> >
> > >Anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with scanners that are
> intended for
> > >office use.  Namely, I am trying to track down reviews and details on
> scanners
> > >that include:
> > >
> > >- D-Size / 11x17 / A3 format
> > >- Colour
> > >- auto document feeder (50+ page capacity)
> > >- Duplex scanning nice but not necessary.
> > >
> > >Most of the contenders I have found weigh in at 6-7K $US...caught me a
> bit off
> > >guard.  It seems thought that this is about the going rate for this
> type of
> > >critter.
>
>HP makes nothing larger than 8.5x14 so they are out the door from the
>get go.

Stuart Biggerstaff

Linda Hall Library
5109 Cherry