On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Schmeits, Roger wrote:

> Does anyone have preference for DAT drives, backup software,
> hardware config.?
>
> I have about 8 servers with several drives that I backup nightly which about
> 50gig per night.
> Currently we are using ArcServe 6.6 on NT 4.0 with 12/24 dat drives.  It
> works ok but I have to
> baby-sit it about once every three months.  Is there anything in the Linux
> world that is comparable??
> Platforms covers Microsoft NT 4.0, win2k, Exchange 5.5., MS SQL2000, Linux
> Redhat 7.1, and a variety of Sybase DB's.
> In light of Sept.11 our org. is re-evaluating our backup routine and what it
> would that you recover if necessary.

My opinion is that 50GB is large enough to warrant some type of
tape library and a software frontend that manages it and the tapes used
for backup.  I currently am responsible for managing backups for an
enviroment that is comprised of roughly 100 Sun Microsystems computers of
various flavours and about 8 WINnt hosts thrown in for good measure.  This
is driven by a Sun Enterprise 420R with 4 cpu's and 4GB of ram with a
Quantum/ATL 7100 (4 DLT 700 Drives installed, 7 possible, with 100 tapes
available) using Veritas's Netbackup Datacenter Software.  Serious
overkill for this environment, but Marketing's expectations were bigger
than the public's willingness to participate.  One aspect I particularly
like about Netbackup is that it uses gnu-tar to write the data to tape, so
if your database of backup's gets mucked up you can still recover backups
with standard unix commands.  I know they support all the OS's you listed
above. And I believe they have a server product that works on linux.

Also another one I've been pleasantly with is Arkeia.  With your
experience with ArcServe, my opinion is that you can pick it up rather
quickly.  I've only worked with the downloadable evaluation version.  The
interface is straight forward but can't get a feel for it's networked
capabilities.

The other route is the total free one, price but not labor.  Amanda is
one.  Customized scripts using standard unix commands are another.  Check
out www.backupcentral.com