Ian,

I have successfully gotten Samba 2.2.1 to work with Win2k and SuSE 7.3.  I am
sure that it is similar to RH.  I used the Samba How-to to get going
(http://www.linux.com/howto/SMB-HOWTO.html#toc7).  I had to transition what I
had on COL2.4/RH 7.0 which had older versions of Samba connected to Win98.
Initially I just needed to share printers, but decided to also share some
directories publicly and via log-in.

Ok, first I got rid of the use of encrypted passwords on my Win2k box.  To do
this, on your Win2k box run "regedit".  When the window opens pick (from the
left panel):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SYSTEM->CurrentControlSet->Services->lanmanworkstation->parameters

In the right panel select: enableplaintextpassword
Press the right mouse button and choose modify, setting the value to 0x1.

Now, I had the same user accounts on both machines, but my printers and public
directories allow guests (so my kids don't have accounts on my linux box).  I
created an account for the guest (smbuser).  I didn't touch
/etc/samba/smbpasswd, but did add the following to /etc/samba/smbusers:

    root = administrator admin
    nobody = guest pcguest smbguest

I also added the following to /etc/samba/lmhosts, after the localhost line (but
I don't know if I needed to):

    192.168.1.101   Windows

That is the IP for my Win2k box.

I also created /home/public open to everyone in the "user" group.  Below is my
smb.conf:

[global]
  workgroup = MACCHIA
  server string = Samba Server on SuSE 7.3
  os level = 2
  kernel oplocks = No
  security = user
  printing = LPRNG
  printcap name = /etc/printcap
  load printers = Yes
  wins support = No
  guest account = smbuser
  map to guest = Bad Password

[homes]
  comment = Home Directories
  read only = No
  create mask = 0640
  directory mask = 0750
  browseable = no
  write list = @users

[public]
   comment = Public Stuff
   path = /home/public
   read only = No
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   browseable = Yes
   guest ok = true
   write list = @users

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/tmp
   create mask = 0600
   printable = Yes
   browseable = No

Notice that only [public] is browsable and has "guest ok = true".  This keeps
my kids out of my home directories.  Anyone can print from the windows box but
not everyone can browse homes.  And public is browseable but only those users
in the "users" group on linux can modify the contents.

I am not 100% sure that I understand everything here because there is some
wierdness in browsing the home shares that I am confused about.  For example,
lets say my Linux machine name is "Susan" and I have a /home/sue on the linux
box with a login/password: sue/foo.  Lets say I also have /home/bob with a
login/password of bob/bar.

On the win2k box I have the same login/password combos.  When I log in to the
win2k box as, say sue, in the explorer
(EntireNetwork->MicrosoftWindowsNetwork->Macchia->Susan->sue) is visible.  When
I select it I get prompted for the login/password and after entering it, I can
browse and write to the directory).  Ok this makes sense.

Then if I log in as bob, in the explorer I see both 'bob' AND 'sue'.  If I
choose either one and enter any valid linux/win user/pwd combo, I can browse
and write to BOTH of these directories.  Maybe, this make sense in light of the
[homes] section.  I have played with this a little and if I create specific
shares writable by specifc log-ins, then I may see both sue and bob, but cannot
browse/write to both.

Hope this helps.  And if anyone finds this useful, let me know and I'll add to
my existing SxS on printing w/ Samba.

=====