On Sunday 16 Dec 2001 23:52, Derek Blazer wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I recently acquired an older computer from a co-worker and I wish to
> get rid of windows95 and replace it with linux so that I may play.  I
> have tried loading Redhat 6.1, Mandrake 7.0, and Caldera 2.3.  All
> three have given me the same error: "Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount
> root fs on 08:04".  I have briefly searched the step-by-step site and

This is telling you that it can't mount the root filesystem on device
major 8 minor 4, which, according to
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt is /dev/sda4 - the fourth
primary partition of the first SCSI disk.  Is your 6GB disk SCSI?

It looks like you need to need to revisit the disk partitioning and
formatting stage.

> the Caldera users list archive to no avail.  The only references in the
> archive for this kind of task only say to boot the linux installation
> CD and proceed, well that doesn't seem to work in this case.  Can
> anybody shed some light on this? Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.  Here are some details about the computer:
>
> Pentium 150
> 80 meg ram
> 6 gig hd (Seagate, I think)
> Creative Labs Banshee with 16 meg sdram
>

> Derek

Peter Ruskin, Wrexham, Wales.
Registered Linux User No. 219434 ( see http://counter.li.org/ ).
Mandrake Linux release 8.1 (Vitamin) for i586
Kernel 2.4.8-34.1mdk-win4lin,  XFree86 4.1.0, patch level 21mdk.
KDE: 2.2.2.  Qt: 2.3.2.  Uptime 3 days 8 hours 3 minutes.