On Tuesday 25 December 2001 10:53 am, you wrote:

>       After the reboot I entered KDE. Ran the config wizard that comes
> up to set up KDE Desktop. All went well. The panel and menus are re-
> done not standard KDE that we are all familiar with however its not that
> big a deal. Actually makes more sense and does not have as much
> duplication. T
>       Oh yeah....On the main desktop is an Icon for My Computer, very
> similiar in function to Windows my Computer, and also an Icon for
> Network Neighborhood, also similiar to Windows.

gnome is setup pretty much the same - the Windows user will feel right at
home.

>       I had 3 problems with the custom install, ELX did not configure my
> sound card correctly, nor did it configure the CD-RW or CD-R properly
> so that I could pop in a cd and browse.

No problems with my essolo1 sound card.

Yep, you're right about the CDROMS - no devices sg0-1 and sr0-1,  I'm
buggered how to set them up; MAKEDEV doesn't seen to work.

SCSI support is there, however.  cdrecord --scanbus returns the expected data.

> One last thing, I was disappointed with the speed it operated on my
> machine, altho it was a bit faster than Mandrake 8.1 it was much
> slower than Libranet 1.9.1 all of which I have recently tried on this
> machine. Oh well, its sold for Xmas and I had to clean it off so don't
> have to worry about it anyway. hahaha

Pretty slow here, too.  I'm compiling a kernel now and will soon pare down
the daemons.  We'll see.

Thanks,
Collins