On Fri, 28 Dec 2001 23:09, David Aikema wrote:

> Can I build just one module w/o rebuilding my kernel?

yes. PROVIDING, you have built that kernel at least once before. Whether you
compiled an ov511 kernel module is not relevant. (this is the short answer)

the ov511 source package includes instructions for making (very standard)
below is the top of my make file which has a few modifications because
/usr/include does not necessarily contain THE header files you actually want.

-----------------------
#INCLUDEDIR = /usr/include
INCLUDEDIR = /usr/src/linux/include
CFLAGS = -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-fomit-frame-pointer \
-Wno-trigraphs \
-fno-strict-aliasing \
-fno-common -pipe \
-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 \
-march=i686 \
-I$(INCLUDEDIR) \
-DMODVERSIONS  -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h
OBJS = ov511.o

after compiling, copy the new module (ov511.o) to the current working kernel
module directory, as in

cp ov511.o /lib/modules/[uname -r]/kernel/drivers/usb/

and run depmod -a