From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On
Behalf Of Glenn Williams
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2002 1:02 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Copying Boot disk.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 12:08 PM
Subject: Copying Boot disk.

> Recently built a quad boot (Win98/Mandrake 8.0/W3.1b/SuSe 7.2) box. To
> keep down traffic congestion in the mbr I boot into the SuSe using a
> floppy boot disk. For safety's sake I want to make a few duplicate
boot
> disks. No matter how I try to go about it I get an error message that
> says the floppy drive can't recognize the file system on the floppy
boot
> disk, except in Win where the error messages claims that the floppy
boot
> disk isn't formatted. How do you make a copy of a linux boot floppy in
> general and SuSe in particular.
>
> Lee

I have run into this problem, as well.  I finally found out that the
distro
I was using, installed a Minix file system on the floppy before copying
the
boot data to the disk.  YMMV.  I think I was running a SuSE distro at
the
time.  Seems to me they used the minix fs to save space on the floppy.

If you are running SuSE 7.2 or 7.3 Pro, check the Reference Manual -
look in
the index for boot disks or rescue disks.  Sorry I can't give you more
specific information.

OTOH, since you *are* running a recent SuSE distro, you should be able
make a duplicate in YaST 2.  Look at YaST 2=>Control Center=>System, and
then under boot disks or rescue disks - I'm kinda hazy on the last stop,
there.

HTH

73 de Glenn

Glenn Williams - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Registered Linux User # 135678 - since 1994
Amateur Radio Packeteer since 1988