Bruce Marshall wrote:

> On Saturday 12 January 2002 13:01 pm, Joel Hammer wrote:
> > This change over to dynamic IP's has been anything but easy.
> >

> Not that you want to hear this, but I was present when a friend of mine
> switched from dialup to a cable modem.  I had the same trepidations about
> getting Linux to work with the DHCP stuff.  Of course, the installers just
> diddled with Windows and off they went.
>
> This friend runs SuSE 7.2  and it took me all of two minutes to get the
> configuration tool (YAST2) to get the system to use a dynamic IP.  I was
> impressed.
>
> (But now you know a lot more about dhcp than I do....  :o)

Last night/this morning, my cable provider (Rogers for those Canucks out
there running it too) seems to have changed things somewhat.  Instead of
needing to provide a '-h hostname' option or '-H -D', it would appear
now that the only dhcpcd incantation that works is an "argument free"
/sbin/dhcpcd.

Anything else results in the eth0 IP remaining blank.

Go figger.
--
Linux SxS [http://sxs.webhop.net/]