Douglas J Hunley wrote:

> how would one construct an HREF to a specific newsgroup on a specific news
> server?
> I know HREF="news:news.somewhere.net"; will pull up the configured newsreader
> and attach to news.somewhere.net, but how do I get the newsreader to
> automagically load a specific newsgroup on news.somewhere.net?
> thanks

<A HREF="news://news.somewhere.net/stepsite.somelists.freebsd-users";>

...replace with appropriate values.

The actual syntax looks something like this in full:

 newsURL    =  scheme ":" [ news-site ] [ refbygroup | message ]
 scheme     =  "news" | "snews" | "nntp"
 news-site  =  "//" site "/"
 refbygroup = group [ "/" messageno [ "-" messageno ] ]
 message    = local-part "@" domain

as you can see, it's possible to be quite granular in you addressing,
say automatically point them at the news server and a specific message
number.

--
Linux SxS [http://sxs.webhop.net/]